This is a huge sub-industry that focuses on developing and creating software or hardware to run computers and manage computers and their operations. A never-dying and always evolving industry, the information technology spending would go up to 5.3 trillion USD by 2022.
Computer science is a discipline in itself, and individuals interested in this line need to complete their Bachelor’s education. You need to have a strong mathematical background to succeed in this area of industry.
Run-through: The sub-industries within Information Technology (IT)
1. Electronics, Semiconductors, and Hardware:
Some companies manufacture computer monitors, conductors, and other peripherals. This is the hardware part of it. Under electronics, you have business units making coils, inductors, chips, and the like, which are used to make the computers run on electrical energy.
This segment of the IT industry is seeing major growth due to advancements in IoT (Internet of Things), 5G and AI (Artificial Intelligence). One of the prominent players in the market, it is estimated to grow up to 1.5 trillion USD by 2027 with 8% CAGR from 2021 to 2027.
This is a worldwide network of computers that allows users to exchange information, amongst other functions. You have search engines, domain and SEO (search engine optimization) services, and website hosting companies that help you be connected to other computer networks.
A job in prominent search engine companies like Google needs you to be proficient in software development and the creation of algorithms. It has penetrated no less than 50% in the country by 2020, pushing the number of internet users to 4.66 billion.
3. IT Infrastructure / IT Security:
While the whole world is moving on to using information technology, having a robust infrastructure and security to avoid data leaks has become a very important requirement. Approximately 4% of the GDP goes to this infrastructure. Certainly, this is a growing market with tremendous job potential in the forthcoming years.
Another growing technology in the country, the market size is expected to reach 18.3% CAGR and 290.93 billion USD as market size. For those who pursue higher studies and want to create better remuneration can surely check out this sector.
5. Software Services:
When we talk about IT hardware, we cannot ignore its software segment. Each hardware needs software support. We can say that it helps in streamlining and making the processes faster in healthcare, manufacturing, banking, retail, and other industries.
Deep Dive: Explore which sub-industry resonates with you
Companies that produce electronic equipment for consumer electronic products and industries. Swipe left to explore!
Est. swipe time: 1 min
Companies that produce physical components for the information technology industry. Swipe left to explore!
Est. swipe time: 1 min
Companies that provide products and services to support or develop internet-based infrastructure. Swipe left to explore!
Est. swipe time: 2 min
4. IT Infrastructure
Companies engaged in providing products and services to operate, manage, enhance and support enterprise IT environments.
Top companies: Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Arista Networks & Cisco Systems
6. IT Security/Cybersecurity
Companies engaged in the protection of IT systems. Includes protection against unauthorized access or malicious cyber-attacks.
Top 3 companies: Palo Alto Networks, McAfee & BlackBerry
Companies developing technology that deals with dimensions and tolerances of less than 100 nanometres, especially in the manipulation of individual atoms and molecules.
Top 3 companies: Taiwan Semiconductor, Thermo Fisher Scientific & DuPont de Nemours, Inc
Companies engaged in the design and testing of semiconductors. Swipe left to explore!
Est. swipe time: 1 min
Companies that develop, maintain and publish software predominantly through licence or cloud-based models. Swipe left to explore!
Est. swipe time: 8 min
Wait, I’m confused? –
Ok, I like this industry, but will I be able to get a job here?
What skills and experiences do OTHER people in this industry typically have?
Are there any more resources to find out about this industry and job roles?
Lucky for you, these aspects have been taken care of, lets begin!
Top 3 skills to get started –
- The Complete SQL Bootcamp 2022: Go from Zero to Hero
- Learn Python Programming Masterclass
- Tableau 2020 A-Z: Hands-On Tableau Training for Data Science
Other important skills –
- Microsoft Power BI Desktop for Business Intelligence
- Microsoft Excel – Data Analysis with Excel Pivot Tables
- Business Analysis Fundamentals
- Data Science A-Z™: Real-Life Data Science Exercises Included
- Statistics for Data Science and Business Analysis
- Apache Kafka Series – Learn Apache Kafka for Beginners v2
- Microsoft Excel – Data Visualization, Excel Charts & Graphs
- The Ultimate Hands-On Hadoop: Tame your Big Data!
- Data Science and Machine Learning Bootcamp with R
- 70-461, 761: Querying Microsoft SQL Server with Transact-SQL
- Data Warehouse Fundamentals for Beginners
- SDLC Overview (1 Hour) – Software Development Life Cycle
- Business Analysis: Developing Requirements
- Fundamentals of Database Engineering
- ETL for beginners : ( SSIS, SSDT ,ETL, MS-SQL Server )
- Data Governance Fundamentals